What is Azure Data Lake:
It is a new flavor of Azure Blob Storage which can handle streaming data (low latency, high volume, short updates), data-locality aware and allows individual files to be sized at petabyte scale. It a basically is a HDFS as a service. We can store all type of data here (structure data like relational DB, unstructured like logs, and semi structure data like json and xml file). While storing data inside azure data lake no need to define the schema. It only support schema on read.
Creating Data Lake Store Service and Uploading a file in Data Lake Store
1. Login into Partnership account/Admin account of Microsoft Azure Cloud Platform through portal.azure.com
2. Hit New and go to Intelligence+ Analytics and select Data Lake Store Service.
3. Create a new Data Lake Store as below by providing necessary details.
- Give a new name to data Lake Service and select subscription.
- Create a new Resource group (a template containing policies and permissions applicable for a service).
- Select the Location for the server and give pricing details.
- Check Pin to Dashboard, so that the bdcs service will shown on dashboard to interact easily.
4. Hit Create and following screen will be displayed.
5. A Data Lake Store Service is Successfully created. Now will upload a file to the service.
6. Hit Data Explorer ( a simple Management Tool in order to create folders and upload files).
7. Create a new Folder and go to the same to upload a file as follows.
8. Browse for the file and hit ‘Add selected files’.
9. Right click on the file and hit preview to preview the file.
Analytics on Data Lake Store Using Power BI
1. Copy ADL Link of Data Store Service.
2. Open Microsoft Power BI tool and hit Get Data.
3. You can see lot of connectors in that choose Microsoft Azure Data Lake store connector as shown below.
4. Hit connect and will show a pop up as below hit continue.
5. Provide the ADL Link that you copied from Data Lake and say Ok.
6. It will show up the details of the file hit edit.
7. Hit on Table Link and then on Binary so that it will show up data of the file.
8. Say Close and Apply and will forward you to BI dashboard.
9. Create some Sample Dashboard as follows. Like this way we can do analytics.